LF: Re: Top loading - to short or not to short?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Top loading - to short or not to short?
From: "Dave Brown" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:16:46 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
I believe you will find the multiple vertical wire arrangements are
generally for mechanical stability and don't have a lot to offer
electrically. As amateur top loaded antennas are generally a lot smaller
than the commercial ones (There are some exceptions!) they don't need these
considerations. A large two wire flat top for example, typically has
stabilising halyards from each end of the spacers down to a comon anchor
point at both ends of the flat top and in the middle-. The ones in the
middle do double duty as the vertical element as well but will usually be
commoned some distance above the top of the loading coil structure so a
single wire forms the lower portion of the vertical element. Conversely, the
end halyards are usually tied down to an anchor point on the support masts
individually, so they can be adjusted individually as required. ( to keep
the flat top flat!)
73
Dave, ZL3FJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence J Howell" <[email protected]>