Re: LF: LF Tuning meter

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF Tuning meter
From: "Fabian Kurz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:51:20 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 15:36 29.04.2003 +0100, you wrote:
Dear LF Group,

For tuning LF antennas, I have for some time been using an oscilloscope to monitor the current and voltage waveforms at the TX output. Resonance occurs when V and I are in phase, and the load resistance is 50ohms when V/I = 50. This is very easy to use provided a scope is to hand, but not very useful if it isn't. An SWR bridge can be used, but it only indicates the degree of mismatch, so tuning is still a matter of trial and error. So with a mind towards future /P operations, I have built a self-contained tuning meter.

The prototype has 2 meters - one indicates phase, while the other can be switched between voltage and current to determine the load resistance. The circuit is slightly more complex than an SWR bridge, but not by very much - it uses 12 diodes, 3 toroid cores and a few other passive components. It does not require an external power supply, and is usable with TX power between about 20W and 1.8kW. I have written a 3 page article about it - it is a pdf file of about 190k, so too big for the reflector, but I can e-mail it as an attachment to those who are interested. If someone would like to put it on their web site, they would be more than welcome!

I'd appreciate a copy of the pdf-File!

73, Fabian DJ1YFK (currently upgrading the PA some 10dB, so a normal CW QSO is certainly possible soon ;)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU