Re: LF: Re: LF broadband QRN?/overnight conditions

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: LF broadband QRN?/overnight conditions
From: "Laurence J Howell" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:28:31 -0900
Sender: <[email protected]>

My list is probably the same -
KL1X's house is a very dark, quiet and inert place during T/A/P tests....

VCR (on its ok, off its noisy from 20-200Khz, common mode)
Some TVs in the house when on standby.
Flouri tubes (old tubes), House dimmers, Garage door opener control
circuitry, induced common mode noise from the pumping station some 500
metres away.  Motorola cell  phone chargers (how can something so small
generate so much wide-band hash 50 meters away!) Touch to go on/.off lamps
(appalling). Ac adaptors for IBM thinkpad, in band 137Khz very bad and
wide-band hash - I don't get a squeak out of the Dell one, Mains power CD
player when playing...Loran....!
One 12v/110vac psu using normal 3 pin reg.

My wires are some 50 metres away from a lot of the sources but I know a lot
of noise is carried "out" by the Heliax feeders - Ive attempted to
choke/earth these down where they come into the house but the ground is a
bit frozen at the moment, and the wildlife a bit too friendly..

Conditions - Fair to poor overnight, DCF39 peaked early at around 0300Z
just after my dusk. Ive taken the web site off for a couple of hours to
shut down some more open ports but it will be back this evening my time.
The station will probably be running on its own from this evening until the
18th...

Laurence  KL1X Sunny -2C Beautiful.
www.kl1x.com