LF: T/A timings

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: T/A timings
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:56:11 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, Thanks for the screen grabs Mitch. They are very interesting. You
will note that Steve's DCF plot slowed a slow climb to a single peak at
about 0200z. Then Steve shows a steady decline. I think there may be more
"hops" in the DCF path so that there is more absorption. Another interesting
point is that the "fade-out" at about 0745 is the time where the daylight
edge is about 25% of the way across the pond. This means that the D-layer at
the path central point is just beginning to be illuminated. I notice also
that there is a fade just before that. The falling edge of the earlier fade
would be as the daylight edge reaches Porto and the D-layer would be
illuminater to about the 25% point...starting to kill the "first bounce" of
the 2 hop signal. As the D-layer over the central Atlantic is illuminated
the "1-hop" signal would be wiped out. Well that is my explanation, it may
not be correct......but its a good hypothesis to throw up and let it be
"shot at".

Good Hunting
Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]