LF: 73k portable activity starting next weekend

To: "LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 73k portable activity starting next weekend
From: "Dave Pick" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:09:56 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear all.

Myself, G0MRF and G3GRO are all heading off in (slightly) different
directions next weekend with the intention of operating on 73kHz (and 136).
I am going to the usual GM QTH in SW Scotland (IO75WC,  55:05:27N, 4:04:36W,
Grid Ref: NX675793) from Friday to Monday, David G0MRF is going a little
further north and will operate from Sunday to Tuesday (to take in "first
Tuesday" Rugby shutdown) and Derek G3GRO is going in completely the opposite
direction to operate from Porth Curno in Cornwall from Monday.
If all goes well we should be able to make the first G/GM and GM/GM contacts
on 73k plus other interesting firsts. We will all have QRSS equipment.

Here is David's info re his trip...........

David will be operating as GM0MRF from Scotland on 136kHz and 73kHz from
mid-morning on Sunday 30th to the afternoon of Tuesday 1st April.  Modes
will
include CW, QRSS and crossband to 80 / 40 /20m as appropriate.  Overnight
QRSS on 137.772kHz will take place, propagation allowing.  Nominal frequency
for 73k will be 71.905kHz

Location:  Apx 20km East of the town of Ayr.
NGR  NS 476 209
Lat / Long:  N 55:27:32     W 004: 24:41

The site is the home of Simon GM4PLM.  There is an area apx 750m x 750m
available together with a 24m high tower at one end of the property. A good
antenna should not be a problem but the local ground is rocky and should be
considered poor.   800 W will be used on 136k and 350W on 73k

skeds are welcome at [email protected].
David's mobile number is 07958 502540 will be in use over the period.  A
landline phone number (daytime) and limited access to the reflector may be
possible but needs to be confirmed.

Derek's information follows..............

I am planning
to spend a week down in Cornwall on holiday from Sat.29th March at my
Brother' place in Porth Curno. This is very close to the historic Cable and
Wireless Museum and I hope to take 73Khz gear with me. I have been in touch
with John Packer who is a Honary Curator at the museum and who is part of an
active ham radio group based at the museum. They have a new shack at the
museum and he is arranging for some members of the group to help me put up
an antenna for 73Khz on Monday 31st March so I hope to be QRV from that
evening onwards. The timing was in part intended to take advantage of any
possible down-time of the Rugby TX on the first Tuesday of April.

The gear hopefully will be the 1Kw RF output ex-Decca TX that Laurie had
until recently on loan from the Crawley club and something like 200ft min of
antenna wire running up to a mast on the lip of the valley. It is also hoped
use as earth, the under-sea return wire of the  submarine cable which still
runs out to sea for some distance! I have quite a bit of work to do yet to
commission a new (to me that is) lap-top to run QRSS/Argo and interface it
with the FT1000MP transceiver running at 7.3Mhz via 100-1 divider as at
Puckeridge so fingers crossed it all works and I can get the wire loaded up
without any flashes and bangs!
I hope to advise a mobile phone number later for talk-back.

I will suggest a probable operating frequency later via the LF reflector
after taking advice.