LF: Re: Re: VLF signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: VLF signals
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:19:01 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Alberto,

You are correct that switching supplies usually have R/C oscillators.
However, after reaching a stable temperature, and with constant load,
the drift could be quite small, perhaps tens of ppm, because the control
supply is often well regulated, either from the main output, or by a
linear regulator on the control chip.

In a few cases, e.g. computer monitors, the power supply runs at a
submultiple of the sweep frequency to reduce displayed noise, and
so is effectively controlled by a crystal in the computer driving it.

It's possible that the supply is locking to a multiple of the mains
frequency.  Are you sure that the sound card sampling rate is accurate,
and that the software is reporting the frequency correctly? There is
probably a big signal at 15625 Hz that you can use for a quick check.

But in any case, your setup should make it very easy to see if the
source is local.  Just use a laptop, running on batteries.  The rest
of the system is passive!  Rotate the loop for a null and note
the bearing.  Move the rig a hundred meters, perpendicular to the
apparent station direction.  See how much the null angle changes.
If it's coming from far away, this is a quite interesting signal.
If it is local, try flipping the main switch to your house to see
if your own gear is the culprit.

73,

Stewart

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>