LF: Fw: Jason test yesterday

To: "RSGB-LF-group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Fw: Jason test yesterday
From: "Urban ekholm" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:20:50 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Hello !

Many thanks to those who listened to my very first test with Jason and who sent a report. I am very glad to hear that it was readable.
I am using the ZL1BPU exciter and was running between 350 and 450W input to a 15m vertical with two toploading wires 1m apart

The frequency was more accurate than expected. I have no means of measuring the frequency accurately. Calibration has been made against WWV on 10Mhz, however in normal room temperature.

Unfortunately I cannot receive Jason properly yet. My old TR7 is too unstable (no "japanese wonders" here). The Drake VFO never stops drifting completely. When it is fully warmed up (after about 1hour) it still drifts very slowly up and down about 1hz. Some letters are received OK followed by garbage and then some letters ok again.

However, I am building a receiver only for 136 and there I use a VFO running at about 6Mhz divided down to about 244khz and mix with 136 to an IF of 108khz. This VFO is completely stable in normal room temperature after about 30min warm up and gives perfect JAson readability when tested "on the table". However the rx is still in the experimenting stage mounted on a piece of wood (yes !) and has no AGC yet.
If anyone is interested in the "appearance" of this contraption just mail me.

Using equipment in the /5 QTH though is another matter temperaturewise. Normal temperature wintertime is +5°C indoors so it takes some time to get a pleasant temperature and to get the gear stable.

Jim M0MBU:
Yes, I was calling some CQ:s on CW after the Jason test. This is my very first report that I was being heard in Britain on normal CW so I am very glad also for that. Unfortunately the noise level with me was much higher than normal yesterday so I did not hear anything.

The input on normal CW is about 1100W and I get much more radiated power now when the ground is frozen. The feedpoint impedance is now ~40ohm compared to slightly above 100ohms normally.
73,
Urban -SM5EUF