LF: Loran

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loran
From: "Hugh M0WYE" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:35:49 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thanks John, for a very useful frequency list of Loran stations.
They make quite good frequency markers - like radio graph paper.

I wonder if anyone can answer my three questions ...
1. How does Loran work - or is it a closely guarded secret ? (perhaps
there's a website that explains it somewhere ?)

2. Are there Loran transmitters in Europe, or do the lines that we see here
(in the UK), emanate from the US ?

3. I see RADIATED PEAK POWER (kW) quoted, and another column mentions
"coding", but there doesn't seem to be any modulation on the lines I see -
are these transmitters running as much as 1400 kW ERP all the time - it
seems an awful lot ?

73
Hugh M0WYE
[email protected]