LF: UA Limitations

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: UA Limitations
From: "Ed Lesnichy" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:53:31 +0300
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello LF_Group!

Tuesday, December 31, 2002, G4WGT wrote:

G> The ERP stated here seems very high in respect of my limited experience with
G> LF power levels & antenna efficiency limitations. If these levels are
G> correct I will be interested to know how they are being achieved & what
G> restrictions are imposed by the licencing authorities in that area.

In Russia there are following limitations on 136 kHz:

29 jun 1998  radio amateurs of Russia have permission for
135.7-137.8 kHz A1A with power (Output - not ERP!):
100w  1 kategory
50w   2/3 kat
10w   4 kat
I.e. not CEPT's limitations in pwr

I use Big Vertical (see attach) on high (135m) tower
H effective ~90m
As fairly has noticed Dave G3YXM (RadCom July 2002):
"These  restrictions  mean  that  only those who have access to really
efficient aerials (like Ed's) are going to be heard in the UK"

I remind, that distance up to England from mine QTH abt 3000km!
I believe that such restrictions detain development 136 in Russia.

I use 100w TX and it allows me to achieve abt 20w ERP.
But at me is 3? thermo-current-meter in ANT and I usually support a current
in the aerial < 3A   i.e. abt 10w ERP at ~40w Output

My LF-correspondents are in the best conditions on reception than I ;-))
Seldom at whom from them is even 1w ERP ;-((

In 2002 I have made 5 weekends LF-activites and I have abt 40 QSOs with
11 countries DXCC (136/136 QRSS and CW)

73! Ed  RU6LA  [email protected]

image/pjpeg