LF: T/A Prop last night

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: T/A Prop last night
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:59:12 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, well done last night. A quick look at Steve's site this morning
shows that the early levels (before 0300z) were about 10dB down on the later
levels, between 0400 and 0600z. I am not sure how the country wide
conditions would relate to this "spot" measurement. My experience is that
most would get a better result in the second half of the night though the
individual timing of the good conditions (peaks) would differ at different
locations. The levels seen by Steve in the 0000 to 0300z period could be
considered as borderline because some elements were received by John from
Laurie. Did anyone send or capture in the later period ??

I am not putting great store by it, but it is just interesting to note that
Steve's highest recorded levels were just about 16 days after the Kp=5 minor
storm on the 19/20th Dec. This sort of period has shown up in some of
Laurie's previous successes. It does tend to suggest that totally benign,
quiet solar conditions are not quite adequate for us to make the trip. This
may become more obvious as slide down the solar activity curve, over the
next few years.

I did a quick and dirty test on my rx system here some time back and I find
only 3-4dB between a T copy and a full O on QRSS, when receiving against
local band noise.

There seems to be no doubt that crossings are never going to be telphone
style "plug-in" contacts at our power levels, we are going to have to work
for them.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]