Re: LF: Loops x Q

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loops x Q
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:14:42 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Marcus, LF Group,

It seems to me this is quite a large loop, and will generate a large output:

I think across an untuned loop V = 2.1e-8.f.N.A.E

where N = turns, f is frequency in Hz, A is area in m^2, E is f/s in V/m

For your loop, and a f/s of 1uV/m, this gives 0.21uV @ 400k, 0.85uV @ 1600k.,
With a Q of 200, the voltage at resonance will be increased to 42uV @ 400k, 170uV @ 1600k

The loop noise depends on the RX bandwidth, but in 10kHz BW it will be roughly 6uV @ 400k, 12uV @ 1600k. So for 1uV/m, SNR would be 17dB @ 400k, 23dB @ 1600k. The JFET noise will be negligible. I think most of the time the atmospheric noise level in 10k BW at MF will be well above 1uV/m, so it should be more than sensitive enough. Reducing the Q to 100 due to resistors or varicap will make the output voltage decrease by 6dB and loop noise decrease by 3dB - still probably OK. Reducing the RX bandwidth will improve the SNR, of course.

The tuning is a problem - 4:1 tuning range needs 16:1 capacitance variation, including the stray capacitance of the loop. If L is about 446uH from the table, this means 350p - 22p. The stray capacitance of the loop may be greater than 22p, so you may not get the full tuning range. Using a varicap diode, it is unlikely the minimum- to maximum capacitance ratio will be high enough. it may be necessary to reduce the number of turns and use a larger tuning capacitor.

The other problem is that local stations will give very large signals - eg. 10mV/m from an 1MHz MF broadcast station will result in about 1V across the loop at resonance, which will probably lead to severe intermods from both the preamp and the varicap. You could connect the preamp across only 1 turn instead of all 9 - this would still give several uV out for 1uV/m f/s, more than enough for a decent receiver. In fact, since the loop output is so large, you could probably eliminate the preamp by using a single turn coupling loop to a 50ohm RX input. The air-variable tuning capacitor would also be a good idea for this reason, unless you live a very long way from any broadcast stations!

Hope this is helpful,
Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU