LF: re Tx with loop

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re Tx with loop
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:51:23 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, I have already replied direct to Werner. I heard his transmissions
today and as he is a regular and almost a "local" to me was able to give at
least an "audible" report. My estimation is that he was about 2 S points
down on the strength I normally hear him. Thus 559 against his usual 579 on
the vertical. This report seems to be confirmed by Dave G3YXMs comments.

To Peter
A take off at 45 degrees is not actually too clever, as it then puts the
signal back down again just 100kms further on !! (Check the geometry with a
50km reflecting D-Layer.) In fact it is likely to give fading in the 300 to
400kms region. The fact that there was no sign (as far as I could tell) of
fading on Werner suggests that the high angle radiation was just totally
lost in absorption in the D-layer. To use "skywave" effectively one has to
"aim" at the horizon. (see the Simple Geometry page on my web site) as only
grazing incidence waves are returned in daytime.

Still it nice to see someone has had the energy and bottle to try it!! Well
done Werner.
How about rotating it vertical next....and give us a warning so we can be
sure to be listening. It seemed very quiet today only 6 callsigns on my pad.
I think it is possible that LA1TN is listening this weekend so the is every
possibility of a report from Norway
(Trondheim I think).....but not if you dont transmit !!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]