LF: HP3586A advice?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: HP3586A advice?
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:33:55 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Gentlemen,

A HP3586A selective level meter recently followed me home, but without any documentation.
I intend to use it as the basis for precision LF/MF/HF off-air frequency measurement applications,
and I wonder if the combined wisdom of this reflector could help with a few questions about this equipment:

1. In the selective level or SSB carrier measuring mode,the IF resulting from the incoming signal is translated to an audio baseband with the help
of a BFO giving a 1850 Hz beat tone. It appears to me that the BFO is not phase-locked to the reference oscillator.
Can anyone confirm this assumption?

2. There is a function labeled "counter" that supposedly enables the user to measure a signal frequency within the IF passband of the
HP3586A. Is this correct, and how is this function enabled in operation?

73/

Karl-Arne Markstrom
SM0AOM