Re: LF: re 500kHz /73kHz Activity

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: re 500kHz /73kHz Activity
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:31:51 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Mal, Alan, HF Group,

I have spent some time during the past couple of years listening to the band around 500kHz - I have yet to hear any 2-way communications going on. What I do hear is various shore stations (mainly Italian), who pop up on 500kHz, then QSY to a nearby frequency to broadcast traffic lists, weather reports, and bulletins of shipping hazards. I guess these same broadcasts are being tranmitted on HF - they seem to be machine generated. As Alan suggests, there is a difference between the broadcasts being there, and anybody actually using them. I think NAVTEX is an entirely automatic set up, with a dedicated RX printing out the broadcasts, without any operator being involved. The marine radio suppliers don't seem to be offering MF transmitters - how many ships do you see with a viable MF transmitting antenna? Even with the broadcasts, the majority of the spectrum around 500kHz never seems to have any signals in it, so it would seem there is plenty of room for a few kHz of amateur band without causing problems. I have heard that there is some interest in using this frequency range for broadcasting differential GPS information, so that may be part of the reason the powers that be are not keen on an amateur band.

In a QSO with G3XIZ yesterday, I heard that M0FMT is in the process of getting set up on 73kHz, and hopes to be QRV in the near future - so one worth watching out for.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU