LF: Re. 73kHz X band attempt

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re. 73kHz X band attempt
From: "Laurie Mayhead" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:42:36 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Dex, John,
Last nights transmissions did not start out as a X band attempt. I did not
expect any propagation, and just wanted to prove that I was right ! However
as usual the Ionosphere confounded me and Dex reported a good signal, for a
while.
I had started with 175sec elements 0.06Hz shift DFCW requiring 120
sec.Argo,and was only sending AQC.After the report (via e mail ) I decided
to speed things up and went to 120 sec elements with 0.1Hz shift. So that
90sec Argo could be used. This resulted in a slight drop in frequency
noticed by John.I also transmitted CQ G3AQC K so that if Dex did see the
signals we could attempt a QSO. However the propagation then started to drop
out. Dex noted that HBG was also dropping so at least we have some
correlation between HBG and signals going the other way.
I did not hear Dex on 7030 so no QSO resulted and I finally closed down at
01:25UTC.
We came quite close to a QSO on a night which did not promise well so there
is hope for the future. We need to check out the HF frequency, perhaps 14mHz
would be better? I should also like to discuss the format for such a X band
QSO, even with DFCW it still takes a long time to send a message. I will put
my thoughts down in a later  mail. Now I need some sleep.
Thanks Dex and John,( and Ko for the report),73 Laurie.