LF: Re: Qso procedure

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Qso procedure
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:23:25 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
During my first cross-band QSO with VE1ZJ in September 2000 I was unsure
what to send - in the end I sent all the call signs TNX and 73s - the lot.
However conditions where good and with 3 second dots it didn't take too
long. With 120s dots its a different matter. The procedure suggested by Mal
seems the best to me and that TNX stuff, although being polite, is not
essential. For cross-band contacts the HF report of 599 could be cut to 5N
as the tone report is not relevant much these days. I also suggest that the
QRSS report could be cut down to two OOs or MMs, unless one of the calls has
this combination of letters.

In the early LF T/A days it was very difficult to ge any idea what was
happening or what was being experianced by the VE and W/K guys, hence the
need for close cooperation on a two-way HF link. It was this mindset that
caused me to look for a way of switching my antenna LF antenna from LF to 80
or 40m. However, with all the detailed and fast feedback from John and
Dexter the ability just to listen on HF is good enough. I can hear Ws and
VEs on 40m at the moment with my minibeam connected to to 850 via an ATU.
I can transmit on 72.4003 tonight for a couple of hours if this is of any
interest.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>