LF: re strange call....Propagation

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re strange call....Propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 00:02:04 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, thanks Fabian, I thought it looked like a locator format but the
signal must have been smashed up quite badly for me to read a Y and
J....very strange. I did have periods of TV SMPSU qrm......I think the YO
who might be active on the band is YO2IS ?? DL1VHF was not as strong as
OH5UFO, who was solid and audible,  all morning.

Anyway, thanks All for an interesting morning. I am not sure why propagation
should be good today except that there has been a lot of geomagnetic
activity recently and the "precipitated electrons" can often enhance daytime
D-layer propagation and at the same time destroy the normal good night-time
conditions.  Maybe it wasn't good maybe it was just that there was some good
activity and a strong station (Reino or DL1EIE ) at the heart of it.

To Laurie...I haven't a clue what's happening an the Atlantic path it may
not be too good ....but then again it might not be too bad....I will look
back in advance of Wednesday and see what it the run-up looks like. I have
been taking some plots of SXV which are in a separate page on my web site,
the overnight signal looks quite badly cut up at the moment, but the peak
levels are not too bad, so it may only be multipath rather than gross
absorption....it may be worth a try if you are set up and it doesnt require
too much extra effort, as this kind of conditions could bunt your signal up
if you are lucky enough to catch it right.

The problem is that my aerial is all messed up in the trees still, after the
gale, (it is probably higher than it was when it was strung properly !! and
without bows and arrows and catapults ) so I am not sure of the calibrated
levels recorded. I got the pole down today and will try to put it back to
normal during the week (slight bend in the pole straightened using the
"armstrong method" which will probably "work harden" it a bit  so it will
probably shatter completely next time !! ) The top section (15ft) is 1.5 in
TV aerial mast which isnt really strong enough, but acts as the "weak link"
bending or breaking before the scaffold poles takes too much strain. Well,
it worked this time.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]