Re: LF: Silicon b-e lights up !!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Silicon b-e lights up !!
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:17:21 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 23:50 13/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
Hi all, Oh yes it does.....I've seen it and in fact we used to look at
silicon Planar (Fairchild TM, I think) emitter junctions for poor doping and
masking flaws using that in the early 1960s.
Dear Alan, LF Group,

I tried it with a 2N2222 - With a few mA B-E reverse current, I could see a few tiny dots of light under x 60 magnification. With 100mA, these merged into a continuous thin line of pinkish-white light in the gap between the base and emitter metalisation, presumably coming from the junction itself. With the high current, it was visible to the naked eye in a darkened room as a tiny dot of light.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU