LF: Region 1 IARU Conference: 136 & 500kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Region 1 IARU Conference: 136 & 500kHz
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:33:19 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: <[email protected]>
I was waiting to make an announcement and combine it with a comment on the
500kHz position, once a chairman for a proposed Working Group was agreed (see
below), however, since Stewart has put his note out it makes sense to comment
now on the LF related matters from the Conference.

I can confirm that the proposed Guideline for 136kHz, see
http://www.g3wkl.freeserve.co.uk/lf/136kHz.html was unanimously adopted.  I'll
update the website soon to reflect the position and also underline that it's
not a Band plan as such, but a guideline for giving direction to the use of the
band in the absence of other factors, e.g. some experiments on a novel mode,
particular DX operating needs, etc.

With reference to the proposal that RSGB put forward for consideration of an amateur allocation at or around 500kHz, I understand that the Conference recognised the ITU policy is that no changes will take place in allocations around 500 kHz in the near future. However, it was agreed that this should not stop us putting a small Working Group together with a view to developing an approach, and it was suggested that we considered a 10kHz segment between 470 and 490kHz. The Working Group would need to recognise that this would be a long-term task, with a further proposal unlikely to be put forward until after WRC03. With the national societies I am in the process of putting together such a working group; any volunteers should e-mail me directly.
73 John Gould, G3WKL
IARU Region 1 LF Co-ordinator