LF: HBG plots

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: HBG plots
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:07:58 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All, the plots continue to provide interest although I cant find one from
DEX this evening yet......blank plot so far.

Laurie, we have to be careful not to read too much into them. They can give
general information about the D-layer, but that path is about 1000kms south
of us and a bit further east. The detail of any multipath fading will
probably be very different to what we would experience. There was a
difference even between you and Peter. Also remember our early plots of CFH
where I saw peaks and you saw a poor period. Unfortunately we dont know how
to recognise a good night yet. I think from John's report (I think it was
John ) before he started posting the plots that HBG was stronger last week
than maybe it is now.  It will be interesting to see if the guys continue
for another couple of nights whether last nights Kp=5 and a morning period
at 4 have any effect.  I feel the effects may not be so dramatic at 75kHz as
maybe at 136, and the path may recover more quickly after a few poor nights
due to storms. This could be because the wavelength is longer relative to
the thickness of the absorbing medium (guess). It does seem that we need a
bit of help, so maybe we ought to be looking at conditions closer after a
storm, when there are still some deep dips, and maybe some higher than
average peaks in between. Certainly so far the 75kHz plots look quite
different to my attempts at 136.  I also note that there didnt seem to be a
peak at 1500z today, so the daytime signal was not making it across. The
previous slight lift at 1500z may have been caused by the Kp=7 storm last
week.

Well done John and Dex, LF is certainly encouraging lots of experimentation,
what will loops, spirals and 75k propagation.....Lotsa Fun

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]

[email protected]