RE: LF: loop antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: loop antenna
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:44:12 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
On 28 Nov 2002 at 13:16, Andy talbot wrote:

There is an awful lot of controversy over the G3LHZ theories on loops......................

Yes, I accept this and you will see that I have included his formulae on my website with the proviso that I do not necessarily believe them. He derived them from real performance measurements of hf loops. Certainly his formula for radiation resistance is many orders of magnitude too optimistic for lf loops!

His formula for Q (and the one formula he is adament is accurate!!) indicates the best achievable Q for any loop based on its diameter, and is intended to show that even reducing resitive losses to zero you will not get better than this figure. It is based on loop bandwidth measurements. For my loop (not actively used at the moment) the formula gives a Q of 35 and an effective bandwidth of 3.9kHz. The fact that I achieve around 1kHz bandwidth (Q of 136) even with far from minimised resistive losses indicates the formula is a bit pessimistic!

There may be some truth in the mechanisms he is trying to demonstrate - ie you can only increase Q up to a certain level and reducing resistive losses below a certain level is a case of diminishing returns - but I appreciate the values seem wrong.

Mike's theories may well be controversial but that doesn't mean they should not be discussed on here. Rik, put up your loop and measure what it does, then feed back the figures to G3LHZ. If enough do this (as I have), he may rethink!

Incidentally Rik's figure of 30A loop current at 400W is pretty close the the 26A I interpolated for my loop based on real measurements at 5W level (not many of us have 30A rf current meters!). Other measurements I have made also tie in pretty well to the classical loop theory values so we may well be coming to the conclusion that Mike has got it wrong!

Well I guess controversy is good for us. Remember the CFA....?

73s Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk