LF: Lasso alias loop

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Lasso alias loop
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:46:28 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
What us folks in the UK and Europe must remember is, that the USA boys are biased towards loops(lassos). They were brought up on the ranches lassoing cattle and naturally when it comes to radio this is the way they think, and its hard to convince them otherwise.
Although my 90 metre loop (natural resonance) is good it is not a patch on my vertical system.
The loop also has the disadvantage of being bi-directional, whereas the vertical captures signals from all directions.
I find on receive the loop is well down in its favourite direction from the vertical and on transmit poor.
I am not exactly comparing like with like because the loop is 90 metres and well elevated, but my vertical is well over 100 ft and supports 3 x inv L antennas each one 100ft plus, vertical and at least 300 ft horiz. Total inductive base loading is less than 0.5 mh on 136 khz. I intend to improve on this configuration when I get the time. The ground system consists of several 300 ft plus insulated radials. Both the vertical and loop are matched to 50 ohms and fed with 50 ohm cable to the shack where all the equipment is designed for 50 ohms.The antennas and base feed are some hundreds of feet away from the shack, away from any possible domestic electrical noise.
I think the roundup days are over in America and they ought to try some verticals on LF
The next steamer leaving Belfast for Baltimore/Philadelphia is in 3 weeks time and I might send over some verticals. This service has been operating since 1823 and is reliable, still using sails.

73 De Mal/G3KEV