Re: LF: New audio card

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: New audio card
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:40:21 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>

Alberto and everyone else.....

The era of SDR (Software Defined Radio) is approaching...

I offer that the era has already arrived. Take a good hard look at LINRAD. I drove all the way down to south eastern PA to visit Roger, W3SZ a few weeks ago. He has a highly optimized LINRAD system that does EME on 144 effortlessly with a simple receiver and seeing Roger tweaking the performance was a true experience for me.

LINRAD of course does not do anything for the propagation workers curse of figuring out efficiently and quickly how to discard 98% to 99% of the data collected in an experiment.

LINRAD does go a very long way towards being a critical part of the analysis tool box for examining data by ruthlessly tweaking for performance. LINRAD does require a heavy investment in learning how to tweak the system for high performance - I offer that anyone starting now MIGHT be ready by the time it is possible to use PC level products to do a direct receiver for 136 KHz, as you suggest this will come in the next year or so.

I am sending this to rhe reflector in the hope that some discussion might follow on what the next generation of DSP software might look like. My needs continue to be to find a DSP engine that I can write application and human interface layers for in MS VB6 - these tools will be essential to make major steps forward in the world of recognizing and exploiting propagation events that occur infrequently to very rare occurrences.

Larry
VA3LK