RE: LF: Re: Re: Droitwich carrier

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Re: Re: Droitwich carrier
From: "Tom Tishken KD4WOV" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:38:18 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
in the tube days you directly modulate the finals with actual audio power.
For example you have a 100 watt TXer. you would need 50 watts of audio to
modulate the 100 watt carrier to 100% modulation. Thus you will be adding
power to the carrier. This is called high level modulation.

Low level modulation is done in the driver or exciter. This will produce
AM but not the same power out. For instance most SSB rigs that have AM,
actually produce AM by removing the SSB filters (now you have Double
Sideband) and unbalancing the ring modulator (I.E. inserting or allowing
a carrier to be sent thru). This will produce a carier of 1/4 rater output
power, and will actually sound the same as high level, IF you have a 6 KC
filter on the TX.You can not have AM on a SSB filter < 3 Khz, you need
Double Side band 3 KHz + 3 KHz = 6 KHz Minimum. You can get by with 5 KHz
but it will have some lost audio response.

Think of AM as 2 SSB signals transmitted at the same time on the same freq.
LSB and USB, both of them will have a common center freq. Lets use 14.300
MHz. A 1 Khz tone in the mic will produce a carrier and a tone with a freq
1 KHz higher and 1 KHz lower. So now you will be looking at 3 freqs:
14.300 carrier
14.301 USB
14.299 LSB

On a AM receiver it will sound like a single 1 KHz tone.