Re: LF: 166.5 kHz Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 166.5 kHz Beacon
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:32:08 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 7/5/02 5:51:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< Unfortunately that frequency is swamped by European
BC sidebands. My noise level is about 30dBuV in 300Hz all night.....almost
the strength I received CFH running 20kW....so I dont think there is much
chance of hearing that on this side, certainly in the UK. >>

Alas, I suspect Alan is right. To complicate the problem, the station does not seem to be radiating very efficiently at all. So far, it has only been reported heard in Mississippi, roughly 200 miles away. A typical 400W aerobeacon can be copied much farther on a regular basis.

73,
John