Re: LF: Counterpoise Experiment

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Counterpoise Experiment
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:19:05 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Jim,

thank you for reporting these very interesting experiments. I wonder if you could optimize the shielding effectiveness of the counterpoise by connecting it via a variable inductor to ground, thus inducing an adjustable opposite-polarity voltage to nullify the displacement current into the earth. If I remember right, the technique was shown in the circuit diagrams of SAQ's antenna system. - A few years ago, we applied the same principle to effectively neutralize a tetrode amplifier at 40 MHz, using its screen-grid lead inductance.

My LF antenna is mostly above our roof, which has a thin aluminium vapor-diffiusion barrier beneath it. A while ago I found that explicitely connecting parts of the foil to TX ground reduced the antenna resistance from 32 to 30 ohms (and less noise-pickup from devices within the house). Judging from the large variations seen during frost periods, I believe a large part of the remaining loss is due to the capacitive coupling to nearby trees.

73
Markus, DF6NM