LF: Old LF D/F Receiver

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Old LF D/F Receiver
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:44:43 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group, Lowfers

I recently bought a WWII vintage LF and MF receiver, which according to the label was "part of aircraft direction finder DZ-1", type CRV-46123, apparently made by RCA. Does anyone have any info on this RX?

It covers 15kHz to 1.5MHz in 6 bands, with a gap from 70kHz to 100kHz, so I imagine the IF is 85kHz. It has a 5 gang tuning capacitor, with separate input stages for loop and wire antennas, and facilities to select either or both antennas for non-directional, directional, or "unilateral" reception, with various gain and phase adjustments. The audio stages appear to have tuned transformers to improve selectivity. The valves are glass types, mainly on 6 pin bases. The tuning dial has main and vernier scales giving 0-1000 divisions, and there is a calibration chart on the front panel.

It is simple enough to get working without a manual, but I would be interested if anyone knows more about it.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU