LF: RX sensitivity

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RX sensitivity
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 12:27:43 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

I have been doing some work recently on a preselector/convertor design for LF - The idea is an easy-to-build project to get started on LF that does not require test gear, alignment, or coil winding. I have a breadboarded circuit working quite nicely at the moment - the preselector has a tuned input circuit which can be adapted to a wide range of antennas without requiring a specially made antenna loading coil. A RX that covers LF can use the preselector output directly, or an oscillator/mixer circuit can be used to mix the signal up to HF. Although the up-convertor is fine for many applications, for the narrow band modes it is obviously better if you can use the circuit as a preselector with the main receiver tuned to LF, because this reduces drift.

The problem is to know what gain is required from the preselector. I know several people have measured the sensitivity of their receivers, which varies a lot at LF - so I would be very grateful for any figures anyone has to hand for typical amateur receivers, so that I can design in gain levels that will suit the majority of peoples' equipment.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU