LF: Re: bandwidth

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: bandwidth
From: "Giulio Scaroni" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:47:06 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Mal,
i not agree with your comment, here i have made many test with narrow band in QRSS, but using or not using an external DSP is exatly the same, i have aTimewave 599zx, but for qrs no difference.
Also, with narrow bandwidht in IF stage from 2.3 Khz to 250 is the same when you using the PC and sound card, the only thing is that if we have an interference in IF bandwidht is better yes the narrow IF filters.(here in Italy with only 4 active LF station we do not have this problem, hi hi hi)
Another thing to remember is that with crash like the tundestorm, the narrow filter make the impulse much more longer than with wide filter, with DSP filter this situation is not present...., so with crash better is wide filter and then dsp filter made by FFT PC program.
Another situation in aural CW, the narrower bandwidht the better is the reception, also in IF and AF with DSP.
Last qso that i have had with M0BMU, was in aural cw but signal was audible only with 20 Hz DSP filtering and narrow filter in IF stage!!!
73 to all de IK2DED Giulio

Some recent comments seem to indicate that all selectivity should be left to the FFT when using computer derived programs like ARGO and associated type programmes for narrow frequency modes like QRS.
My approach is to feed the RX audio to the computer sound card at the narrowest bandwidth possible, in the case of the pegelmessers at 20 hz b/w. When using conventional receivers with b/widths around 200 hz I then use an external audio DSP unit and again reduce the bandwidth to the narrowest possible. Weak signals stand out a lot better when using this method. On normal cw signals using the most narrow bandwidth possible, commensurate with speed, makes a big difference to hearing the signal. Signals that are barely audible with a 300 - 1000 hz filter are perfectly readable with a 20 - 50 hz filter, the signal over noise is improved dramatically.
The same applies to all modes of signal, minimum bandwidth to achieve the object.
This is normal commercial practice but some radio amateurs are still working in the dark.
G3KEV