Re: LF: still more loop inductance formulas

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: still more loop inductance formulas
From: "Claudio Girardi" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:25:25 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello to everybody,
regarding the loops inductance, Terman Radio Engineers' Handbook has formulas for single turn loops of many different shapes and also notes that these formulas have all the same general form; it references two articles in the Proceedings of the I.R.E. of 1927 and 1936, that should contain the formulas derivation, maybe I could be able to find one of them... It gives also a formula for the inductance of a single turn rectangle: said a and b the rectangle sides length, d the wire diameter, g the diagonal of the loop (g = a^2+b^2) (all in meters) the inductance is: L = 0.4*((a+b)*ln(4.0*a*b/d) - a*ln(a+g) - b*ln(b+g)) + 0.4*(2*g+d-2*(a+b));

Rik first formula agrees well with the one from Terman, at least for side ratios up to the stated limit of six, where the error is around 10% depending on the wire diameter. I performed some comparison of that formula with the one from Terman and with computer simulations, you can find some results on http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/rlsim.html

I have also put on my site some forms for the inductance calculation of single turn loops of regular polygonal shape and of rectangular shape, they are at http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/ind1calc.html and http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/ind2calc.html

I have seen the new Rik formula just this morning, hope to have the time soon to compare also that with the inductance simulations made...

              73 de Claudio, IN3OTD