LF: General formula for inductance

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: General formula for inductance
From: "Claudio Girardi" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:45:38 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I was able to find two old papers in the "Proceedings of the I.R.E." cited by Terman on the subject of inductance calculation; a general formula for the inductance of a single turn loop of (almost) any shape was proposed by Bashenoff in an article of November, 1928 and later verified also by Kalantaroff and Worobieff in another article in December, 1936.

A simplified version of the formula is:

L = 0.2 * p * ln((4 * S) / (d * p)) [uH] (all dimensions in meters)

where p is the perimeter of the loop, S its area and d the wire diameter. The maximum error should be a few percent maximum for most shapes.
A comparison of this formula with the other proposed for rectangular
loops can be found at http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/rlsim.html

                  73, Claudio IN3OTD