LF: Loop theory...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Loop theory...
From: "WE0H" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:07:51 -0600
Cc: "Lowfer/Hifer Reflector" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
Now a vertical has high voltage and lower current than a loop. A loop has
high current but lower voltage than a vertical. Power = current x voltage.
Running a loop with a kilowatt amplifier would indeed produce high current,
which would require large wire. Running a vertical with a kilowatt amplifier
would indeed produce high voltage, which would require large insulators. I
am trying a very well proven loop design thanks to Mr. Ashlock, on the
160-190kc band with my legal 1-watt final amplifier. I absolutely cannot get
my vertical to work as well as the loop with so many trees on my property. I
have over 3000 feet (914.4 meters) of ground radials under my vertical.
Verticals have their place on a treeless lot. Loops have their place on a
tree filled lot. You need to have your vertical large enough to reduce
losses. You need to have your loop large enough to reduce losses as well.
There is nothing to argue here. These are the facts. Your comments are
welcome.
73's,
Mike>WE0H
http://www.geocities.com/we0h/index.html