LF: RE: Re: RE: Re: loops

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: RE: Re: loops
From: "Ashlock,William" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:16:08 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Dave,

This sounds interesting. Are you able to model the "gain" of the loop
against a 350ft inverted L fed against a 350ft counterpoise? Same amount of
wire but not joined up...

I assume your 350ft is the length of the horizontal section? In other words:
the inverted L that would fit on my land, assuming I cut down all the trees?
:(   The length of the vertical portion is all-important at LF since the
signal is nearly 100% vertically polarized. Assuming 50ft, the loop could
beat the inverted L by at least 10db. I'm basing this on the basic 50ft
monopole (with long top 'capacitor') beating the 50/50 loop by the, pretty
much accepted, 6db. Then I'm adding 16 db to the loop for the stretched
horizontal dimension.
(BTW: I'm not too keen on computer modeling for basic antenna comparisons.
My feeling is that good intuitive thinking is often lost) Modeling is great
for the +/- 1db details.
I just remember the great fashion of using loops on 160 years ago,

Oh, jeez, I first thought you were talking about loops 160 years ago! You
Brits aren't THAT far ahead of us! :)

these were in small gardens and were about 60ft long and 25 - 30ft high,
small but
still better in terms of wavelength than what you're proposing. These never
seemed to work any
better than the equivalent inverted L.

Most likely 100% true. LF is a bit different. Because of the very strong
dependency on the complete system Q (ground loss, coil loss, and yes - tree
loss) the loop can come out the winner, particularly if your lot is a forest
of trees like mine. In which case, I just planted a wire or two over the
tops of them, and now, enjoy their presence!
Bill A

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for
the presence of known computer viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. However, it is still recommended that you use
local virus scanning software to monitor for the presence of viruses.