LF: RE: loop

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: loop
From: "Ashlock,William" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:51:06 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mal,

I have now installed a loop each vert leg 50 ft approx x each horiz 105
ft =5250 sq ft.

What are you using for a conductor?

Series feed seems to be popular in the USA and a toroid matching
transformer.

Works for me! If this is also to be a TX loop I would very much appreciate
your feedback on the loop Rac and current that you acheive with this setup.

I use 50 or 70 ohm coax so have to match accordingly for my rx/tx.
So far connected up unresonated, it is poor as expected compared with my
resonant vertical.

Yes, very poor. Your loop reactance of ~170 ohms is in series with an Rac
for the conductor of ~2 ohms. That's about an 85x loss! For TX at your power
levels the resonont capcitors will be the main challenge. At 1w you can use
plain old 500v micas.
The loop is located about 50 ft away from the vertical and its
associated ground radial system and because of the close proximity I
might not be able to do a meaninful comparison test. I do not intend to
dismantle the vertical because it works so well.

Just disconnect the lead to the transmitter so it is out of resonance. Also,
take the loop out of resonance when going back to the vertical. I don't
expect much interaction.

I can work and hear all the activity on 136 khz, so apart from some fun I
do not need another
antenna. I will resonate it on 136 khz and even with the interaction see
how received signals compare.

My TX loops work rather poorly as RX loops because they pick up too much
house-generated crud.

Have fun!

Bill A

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for
the presence of known computer viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. However, it is still recommended that you use
local virus scanning software to monitor for the presence of viruses.