Re: LF: DF6NM/DK8KW/PSK08

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DF6NM/DK8KW/PSK08
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:50:44 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Wolf, Geri and Uwe,

mni tnx for the interesting experimental QSOs today and for the report.
 Wolf`s progr is ok so far;

SpecLab is doing a splendid job here: it decodes PSK, while two different spectrogram displays are running simultaneously in the background, on a 233 MHz notebook! Here I had close to 100% copy of both stations in PSK08 as well as PSK31. Only the AFC function seems a bit too hot for the slow modes, but manual tuning circumvented that problem.

While we all copied each other well in PSK31, both Wolf and Geri reported marginal receive results in PSK08. Geri consistently read something like "D8WFN" instead of "DK8KW DF6NM": there must be a funny bug, living somewhere in the ether and feeding on every second character...

Later I set up SpecLab to transmit locally on my old 486DX66, with acoustic coupling to the notebook's mike, plus the usual band noise to the line input. It worked perfectly, even at the slowest possible setting of 0.5 baud. Which, SNR-wise, should roughly be equivalent to 8s-dots QRSS.

never heard Markus with such a weak signal. Markus, I guess you did not risk using full PWR of your TX.

Actually, I wasn't worried about the TX (running it's usual 130W PEP), but in the strong winds I just didn't dare to push up the antenna all the way. So the top wires were swinging wildly only 3 to 4 meters above the roof with it's aluminium diffusion-stop layer, radiating perhaps 6 or 8dB less than normal. And the wet weather losses don't help either.

TU and all the best
Markus, DF6NM