Re: LF: QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QSO
From: "gii3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:57:32 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

[email protected] wrote:

In a message dated 1/7/02 6:24:34 PM GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

1. Is there a  record of any two way qso's on 136 or 73 khz.
2. Xband qso's 136/HF real time.
3. Those using beacons on 136 khz and getting reports, which really
amount to short wave listeners reports.
These are 3 distinct categories and totally different in procedures
required for award purposes etc.
As far as I am concerned a 2 way qso or xband qso should take place at
one session and in the shortest time possible and not over days, weeks
putting bits and pieces of the callsign together to
claim a qso.
Some seem to be implying that being heard on beacon mode on 73 and 136 k
hz is the same as
a two way on the band or xband qso. Not as far as I am concerned.
de Mal/G3KEV

Hi Mal.

As most of this new communication technology is being invented as we go along, there are a lot of personal views about what is a QSO and what is not.

Regardless of mode a QSO means two way real time communications between two station including xband.

To apply the traditional values of CW contacts to QRSS, DFCW, MSK Low data rate PSK etc is difficult, perhaps even inappropriate.
Why is it still applicable on all the other amateur bands

When 136 was allocated, the Transatlantic Challenge in memory of the late Peter Bobek was created by The RSGB (UK)  DARC (Germany)  and Amrad (USA).
Events have been overtaken since then,  Peter Bobek was not even audible in the UK and I was the only signal that he could hear at one stage, never mind a qso.

A long debate on QSO exchanges continued throughout the intervening period but eventually applications were made  and accepted for some aspects of "The challenge".  The details of the QSO claims were considered by representatives of the three organisations and their decision to accept or reject a particular claim now forms the basis of  DX records on the LF bands.
Some so called QSO'S took several days to make by putting bits and pieces together to make up a callsign, hardly credible by the existing rules for a QSO including EME. Some were making the rules up as they went along.

I believe Dave G3YXM has all the 'firsts' between countries available on his web site.

Some firsts that took days to complete  and were dubious have been superseded by those that have achieved near normal  QSO'S xband Transatlantic at 2 sec dots solid copy.

You may be able to locate details of one way distance records from G3XDV's site.
I don't think there are records for cross band contacts where the contact does not represent some other form of  record.
I would say a 2 sec dot solid xband qso to Canada 136/7025 khz is a RECORD plus a 60 sec dot qso that took less than one hour, compared to the past record of several days.

I recall that the 73k two way record is from Peter G3LDO to GI  using standard CW.
Also from memory, 73k QSOs have been made from G GW GD GU.  Not sure about GM.  GJ has yet to be activated on 73 or 136.

(usual disclaimer about accuracy etc)
If I any of the above information is incorrect please let me know.

de     G3KEV

73

David  G0MRF