RE: LF: Envelope shaping and class D

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Envelope shaping and class D
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:26:42 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Varying the drive duty cycle to change the RF level does not give the result
expected at first sight.   While the DC level does vary proportional to the
duty cycle, the RF carrier, which is revealed via the second term of the
Fourier expansion of a rectangular waveform does not.  Instead, there is a
SIN(X) / X  component in the waveform which gives a horribly non linear
relationship between duty cycle and RF out.  It may be possible to
pre-distort the drive waveform to work over a limited range of amplitudes,
but I hate to think what the lookup table would contain ! The only real way to alter the amplitude is to change the power supply to
the PA stage and a PWM modulator, ie. a switch mode PSU working open loop is
not too complicated a beast to make if it really is necessary to adjust
amplitude.
But is it really worthwhile going to these lengths just to operate PSK31.
There are several other schemes already in use with equally good signalling
capabiliies that work with constant amplitude - ie JASON, Coherent (by
VE2IQ) and a host of externally synchronised coherent PSK schemes as yet
barely tried.   No one has looked at MSK yet either.  That is constant
anmmplitude, and with a bit of imagination could be generated from a DDS as
well as from the ubiquitous soundcard.

Andy  G4JNT