LF: Hearing not Meteors but Aurora

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Hearing not Meteors but Aurora
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:45:09 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alan:

I was very convinced I heard it "swoosh" by at the time,
but being a level headed skeptical sort of person, knew it wasn't possible
to have heard the actual meteor entry itself

There have been many reports of people hearing Aurora.  There have been many
people who spoof the idea.  It is very common to hear the Aurora, directly
under the Aurora, along the south coast of Hudson's Bay at say Bear Island
or where I once lived at Great Whale River, Poste de la Baleine.   It was so
common the local natives never considered it unusual at all, they even had a
word for it.

Second I read that occasionally those using parabolic mirror reflector
microphones for listening for WWII airplanes occasionally where able to
co-ordinate optical meteor sightings with aural results.  The reference was
obscure, but probably could be reproduced with some effort. [Late bit, I saw
this reference in an R. V. Jones report, and you already know who he is of
course]

Larry
VA3LK

ex VE8PQ, 3C2TQ (1967) amongst many many calls hi.