LF: Re: Earth resistance

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Earth resistance
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:51:13 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

Laurie, G3AQC wrote:

When I came into the shack this morning it was snowing ! rather wet snow,and
the ant. wires were about half inch diameter !
I turned on the Decca to check, and NIL no ant. current. Checked the
variometer ,reduced inductance by almost 0.5mH and bingo
current again. The wires are a bit low due to the weight of the snow but
only about 1 ft. So wet snow seems to be quite conductive at 136 ! Does'nt
seem to do much for ground loss though since max current about 0.25A short
of dry weather conditions. Thought you'd like to know.  73s Laurie.

In a dry period in summer I have measured an earth resistance at my location of the order of 22 ohms.
When dry in winter this rises to about 30 ohms.
After prolonged rain in winter it becomes 58 ohms.
Does water make the upper layers of the earth more lossy?

Best wishes to you all for 2002.

73, Dick, PA0SE
JO22GD