LF: Re: Ringing Voltage on Telephone,

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Ringing Voltage on Telephone,
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:31:23 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
In the UK the standard capacitor is 1.8uF and maximum ringing load is 1000
ohms (REN = 4) based on old legacy system.  The actual ringing voltage is
'spiky' at a PRF of 25 Hz.  I'll have a look at its actual waveform tonight
and report back, but it certainly is not that spiky and made up of 1000 Hz
components over here.
1.8uF has Xl = 3500 ohms at 25Hz  so on a 1k load will be somewhat lossy but
bearing in mind a cable of 0.5mm diameter trwin conductors has about 200
ohms / km DC resistance, there could be over 1k of resistance anyway on a
long underground line, so the ringing margin needs to be quite high.    The
old bells had inductive coils so this probably resonated with the 1.8uF
cancelling out a fair bit of the 'loss' due to reactance.   I have a modern
electronic phone that rings with only 10V on it.  It wet weather once, water
leaking into a phone connection in the garage shorted this capacitor (we
have a three wire system remember) and the phone spontaneously rang from the
DC present on the line,  waking me up in the middle of the night :-(

I notice a lot of (legal) phone accessories in this country now only use two
wires, so it looks as if the idea of a single DC blocking capacitor in the
junction box with a 3 wire local connection to each phone is going away.
The 4th wire used within phone installations here is redundant, but was used
once upon a time as an Earth lead for signalling on party line working.  It
was all a big mess in those days.

No wonder manufacturers of phone accessories tear their hair out over
international compatibility.
Don't we get onto some strange subjects on this reflector !

Andy  'JNT

A quick reality check, think through the reactance of a DC blocking
capacitor at 20 Hz and 1000 Hz, when you rectify the AC through the
capacitor and power a small relay from the result you are not working with
much of the 20 Hz component.

Larry
VA3LK

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.