LF: [Fwd: Re: [Lf] Greetings! I have a modest proposal...]

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: [Fwd: Re: [Lf] Greetings! I have a modest proposal...]
From: "Stewart Bryant" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:20:14 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Some thoughts from the USA

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Lf] Greetings!  I have a modest proposal...
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:53:12 -0500
From: Frank Gentges KØBRA <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
CC: LF List <[email protected]>

Jake,

Like Bob, I am also intrigued by your proposal.

When wavelengths exceed 7000 feet, it is hard to construct directional antennas inside a one tenth wavelength box except for a figure eight pattern loop or a cardioid variant when a loop and efield probe are
combined.

For directional antenna patterns like we are more used to at HF we need
to break out of the one tenth wavelength box. We could for example, place several efield probes around the countryside and send the signal to a central point for beam forming processing and other post beam forming processing.

One way is to provide long cables to the connect the central point to
the remote antenna sites. This would require a lot of cable and easements.

Another way is to transmit the individual remote antenna signals via
VHF, UHF or microwave. If the system maintains phase integrity, the individual remote antenna signals can be combined in a beam former.

I think your idea is focused on the details of doing the translation and transport process of getting the remote signals to the central beam forming site. Perhaps there are other approaches that could also be used.

In any event, with enough remote antennas spaced far enough apart, we
may be able to form some narrow beams that would reject noise and interference off of the main lobe. I am not sure I would call this gain in the same sense as a yagi beam antenna would exhibit. With LF, directivity is much more useful than raw gain.

Good thoughts and I am definitely not laughing.  Your ideas are
stimulating.

A while back I was interested in building a remote LF receiver that
could be tuned and listened to over an internet connection. Perhaps this could be a remote node for beamforming. We were looking at using dumpster grade computers and an RX320. I got some good ideas here on this list.

Keep us informed of your thinking and work.

Frank K0BRA