LF: LF activity

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LF activity
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:02:58 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All,
I have not been QRV for several months due to other commitments. Today I
returned to 136kHz and this is a report of the today's (Sunday) activity.
I had been experimenting with an ex-Decca loading/diplexer coil and have now
finishd up with a multi-layer coil that gives reasonable results - I will
give details in the near future on my web page. The antenna has been
refurbished with new connections and PA0SE insulators.

I borrowed a 73kHz Decca transmitter from the Crawley club and with their
permission passed this over to Laurie G3AQC so that he could continue his
73kHz T/A tests. Laurie has modified my transmitter so that it is a dual
band (73/136kHz) unit. I will give details on how he did this in the near
future.

Using only one module of the Decca transmitter I started the day with 1.8A
antenna current and after several hours of rejigging the winding arangement
of the multi-layer Decca coil and the matching coil taps managed 3.8A
antenna current.

I also did some listening experiments using the loop (shown on my web page)
and the transmitting antenna. I put out several automatic CQs during the
tests and heard nothing. I had been using the loop to null out the Loran and
when I switched the receiver to the transmitting antenna I found out were
all the action was. First of all I was called by F6BWO who was Q5 in spite
of heavy QRN. Later I heard HB9F?N trying to work C?1?RP and complaining of
QRN. The HB9 was R3 and the other station R2. Later I heard OK1DTN at around
S7 (1125) on the loop but he faded later. I did try a call but I was in the
middle of some coils adjustments and the transmitter/antenna was not working
all that well. I heard OK1DTN in QSO with G3AQC and PA0BWL.
Other stations heard DJ8WX and HB9ASB.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>