LF: RE: Re: Farewell, LFers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: Farewell, LFers
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:04:21 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
There are also still many of us on LF, fortunately, whose interest is in the
science and technology of radio communication, rather than merely having
QSOs.
Repeaters such as this reflect the true spirit of amateur radio
experimentation, and enable several operators in the Crawley area to be able
to receive on 137kHz where they otherwise wouldn't be able to due to severe
local QRM. The repeater was built for that reason -  It was all explained in
detail at the LF Convention (oops, Freudian slip - HF Convention) on
Saturday.

Amateur radio is slowly dying off anyway these days due to the vastly
reduced number of newcomers coming in, and if these sort of  backwards
looking attitudes andinsistance on simplicity prevail, it will attact no
newcomers who see it as an old-mans hobby for those who want to just sit and
waffle.

I was attracted to LF origibnall because it was all about experimentation -
now it has turned into another Dx band my interest has faded and I've gone
back to microwaves where practically no one just wants to have QSOs for the
sake of it

Andy  G4JNT

I do not want to start long arguments on the reflector (or I will also unsubscribe) but wish to make it clear that there are quite a few of us with big reservations
about this 'new technology' tool.

AND

Being a simple fellow; the attraction of 136 kHz for me was always the
simplicity of the station equipment, and the reliance on one's own efforts
to communicate by radio.  For this reason, 136 often felt like an amateur
band 'frozen' in time - a sort of refuge: where one might get a taste of
what it was like to be a pioneer in the 1940s.
But, as operation on 136 now takes on a new dimension: adopting all the
trappings of the black-box era, I have decided to dismantle my LF station. For now, I'll go back to constructing and operating HF QRP equipment. I
very much hope to see you there!

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.