LF: Re: QRG of SAQ transmission

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: QRG of SAQ transmission
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:35:01 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Alberto, LF Group,

I recorded a .wav file of the SAQ broadcast yesterday. I checked the frequency using Spec Lab, and the calibration factors I use for Wolf reception. The frequency wobbles around slightly - it was about 17.220kHz +/-5Hz. A distinctive feature of the SAQ signal is the backwave - with the key up, the TX power is only reduced by about 20dB, not completely eliminated. At my QTH this is audible, and shows up as a rather drifty carrier on the spectrogram. The backwave frequency was about 10-20Hz lower than the main signal.

Incidentally, the error on the sampling rate of my soundcard is -
0.56% with 8kHz sample rate, +0.41% at 11k sample rate. So errors of this sort can arise due to the soundcard alone.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU