LF: VE7 to Eu listening tests.

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: VE7 to Eu listening tests.
From: "Holger 'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 02:45:02 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Steve, VE7SL wrote:

Starting in October I would like to do some serious listening towards Eu
on
LF. Which signals (commercial broadcast) would stand the best chance of
being heard? <

Steve,

you might want to try to listen to the commercial transmitter DCF39 in
Magdeburg on 138.830 kHz (see http://www.qru.de/dcf39-beacon.html for
details). That transmitter has about 40 kW ERP, so that a good amateur
signal from Europe is between approximately 45 to  50 dB weaker than that
station. It has been heard at the East coasts of Canada and the US, and a
VK station has been able to detect the carrier by taking a long-term
averaging software.
DCF39 transmitts a steady carrier on 138.830 kHz, interrupted approximately
every 10 seconds by a 200 bd FSK signal with the space frequency on 139.170
kHz.

Good luck, best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)

LF-Homepage: http://www.qru.de

... currently not QRV but preparing to be ready to transmit again
throughout the winter season with about 200 mW ERP, I am located 120 km
West of DCF39 ...