Re: LF: Re: carriers

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: carriers
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:28:50 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dave G3YMC wrote:
I was also listening yesterday and can confirm that nothing was heard
here in Bracknell.
As with Alan and Dave, I did not hear the carriers either.  It
would seem to be a noise source that is local to Mal.  But Wolf's
report that LF noise from TV sets can travel hundreds of metres
is a concern.

In addition, Wolf wrote:
> As alternative, I am very curious about Steve's and Rob's noise
> canceller experiments. IMO, cancelling more than one QRM source > is a tough job. Yes, cancelling, say, two QRM sources, requires two cancellers, with a distinct sample of each noise source. It is also very difficult to obtain a large enough sample of the noise if the noise source is hundreds of metres away. Interestingly, I've had the greatest success with my noise canceller where the QRM has been conducted via the electricity supply ('mains'), from a neighbouring house into mine. Then, there is no problem obtaining a sample of the noise!

I heard Bob back on the band this morning, perhaps he is now having
some success with his noise canceller.
Bob is indeed having success, but he now needs a pre-amp to
compensate for the loss through the canceller.  So Bob has
ordered a G0MRF receive pre-amp.  Meanwhile, Bob will be
conducting more experiments to improve the sample of QRM being
fed to the noise canceller.

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG