LF: Re: Re: Carriers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Carriers
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:00:13 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Wolf DL4YLF,

OK on receiving 50 Hz hum modulation from TV sets.

>I guess most of the QRM travels over the mains supply lines. I already
>considered building a battery-powered remove RX with a 70cm-FM-link to the
>main station (using a cheap 70cm-LPD handy). The problem is finding a quiet
>remote RX side where the RX cannot be vandalized or stolen.

Several ZL amateurs, including myself, have had quite good results in minimising LF QRM by using an active whip antenna sited somewhat away from houses (and their mains wiring).  Attention needs to be paid to RF isolation of the power supply for the antenna, and using balance RF transmission lines, otherwise the mains QRM can still get to the antenna via the shack and feeder.  5 metres or so separation of an active whip from house wiring can greatly reduce the mains-conducted QRM, but is still good for receiving wanted DX signals.

73, Bob ZL2CA