LF: More on lightning

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: More on lightning
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:42:14 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Thanks for those commenting on my recent lightning experience. I have now spoken to almost all of those in my street - only 16 houses - and I was the only one who did not have a video recorder blow up. In fact, my damage was less than most other people. Does this mean that my earthed mast (earthed to stakes, not mains) acted as a lightning conductor and protected my TV antenna several metres below it?

The conclusion of this is obvious. I must persuade my neighbours that they would be better protected from lightning if they all had 15m masts in their gardens, and had them all joined up with wires to my mast to make a large Faraday screen. Well, I can dream!

Did my neighbours see a strike? They say they did, but there is no physical evidence. In fact, this weekend I walked the streets all round my QTH, including several large open spaces with 30m beech and oak trees, and saw no evidence of damage at all. All I do know is that the insurance companies will have to pay for 10 video recorders, 3 TVs, 3 phone lines, one cable TV adapter and two computer modems. My own LF pre-amp and mains wiring problem seem quite trivial.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net