LF: DX window for ZL

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: DX window for ZL
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:34:58 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rik,

The information on the ZL6QH to VE7SL confirmation has been sent to a number of amateurs.  A schedule for 7 July has also been posted widely, including to the RSGB reflector.

> .... we would only need to find a 'clear spot' of 1Hz between 160 and
> 190kHz (the closer to 190kHz the better the chances ?).

Yes to that.  We spent quite a time to identify frequencies that were reasonably clear in the Pacific zone, but as it turned out there was weak co-channel QRM on the selected 184.4000 kHz frequency for Pacific area QRSS tests.  That is why we have a QSY of -0.1 Hz for the next test, so ZL4OL on 184.3999 kHz would be reasonably clear (assuming the QRM stays on 184.4000 kHz!).  Also ZL6QH is narrowing the shift from 1 Hz to 0.4 Hz, to have more chance of both frequencies being captured on an Argo screen.

If you find a few Hz of clear spectrum within 165 - 190 kHz (it needs to be within our allocated band), we can arrange to transmit.  I think the 190 kHz end of the band offers best propagation prospects.  We are also hopeful of
getting access to 136 kHz, but leave that possibility aside for now, but with multiple bands we could think about full duplex QSOs during an opening .....

While we are fairly bouyant at present from the results of 11,709 km DX last weekend, I should also point out that some downunder listening has been done on EU long wave AM broadcast frequencies, and so far nothing has been heard.
Also I have been listening out for 90 second dots from VA3LK most nights for several months, and not seen other than noise and some QRM on Argo screens.  But we live in hope.

73, Bob