LF: GBR (was 9kHz NOVs)

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: GBR (was 9kHz NOVs)
From: "John Rabson" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:18:09 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Talbot" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2001 11:16 PM
Subject: LF: Re: re 9kHz NOVs

Rugby at one time in its
history running a few 10s of kW was reckoned to have 500000 Volts on its
antenna.

Sounds a bit high. According to Watt (VLF Radio Engineering, end of chapter
2), Rugby is voltage-limited below about 21 kHz. From the figures he gives
for the post-1958 configuration I estimate the feed current as 500 to 600 A.
If I interpret his graphs correctly, the reactance of the aerial (and
therefore of the resonating helix) is about 200 ohms.

This indicates a maximum voltage on the top hat in the region of 100 to 120
kV. One of Watt's graphs shows a figure of 165 kV as the voltage-limited
figure for the original 8-tower array.

73 de
John Rabson G3PAI